
For as long as I can remember, my family has eaten waffles for breakfast Sunday mornings...not just my immediate family, but also my grandparents and aunts & uncles. Now, to a young girl, your family is about the reach of your universe, so I assumed that Sunday morning waffles was a national tradition, much like turkey on Thanksgiving day or corn on the cob on the 4th of July. It wasn't until my first Sunday brunch in the dining hall at college that I realized my waffle-filled Sundays were merely a Vetterli tradition (I know, kinda embarrassing that I made it 18 years thinking this!!!)
After college, I stopped eating waffles religiously on Sundays, but every once in a while, I whip out the waffle iron to take me back to my childhood Sunday staple. This Sunday, with Kelly visiting, I made a batch of waffles, topped traditionally with butter and syrup. I grew up making waffles with Bisquick, but I make it now from scratch, courtesy of Joy of Cooking:
Waffles
makes about 6 waffles
Preheat waffle iron.
Whisk together in a large bowl:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whisk together in another bowl:
3 large eggs, well beaten
4-16 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted *
1 1/2 cups milk
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently whisk them together with a few strokes (the batter should have a pebbled look). ** Scoop a ladle full of batter onto the hot iron. Cook until steam no longer escapes from the iron, and the waffle is golden brown. Enjoy.
*The butter can be varied: use 4 tablespoons for a lowfat waffle, 8 tablespoons for a light and fluffy waffle, or 16 tablespoons for the "crunchiest most delicious waffle imaginable."
**You can add a variety of things to the waffle here. As a child, I loved crumbled bacon added into the batter, or you could be healthier and add some bananas, or go for chocolate chips. Usually, I don't add a thing!
What better way to end breakfast on a cold, dreary day than a soak in our new hot tub!
10 comments:
16 tablespoons = 2 sticks of butter ...let's see...that's 1/3 stick per waffle...OMG!
nice.
have you tried the pumpkin batter mix from tjs? just picked some up today. also, i use our waffle iron to panini sandwiches!
wish you'd been with us this weekend to make us delicious waffles!
nice hot tub. when did that arrive?
is the hot tub at YOUR place or your parents?? yours???
also, i am a waffle person vs. pancakes all-the-way.
but my sunday morning waffles growing up were eggos.
l'eggo...
We had waffles for years and years as the kids were growing up, just like you. For health reasons and empty nesting we've stopped having them all together : ( sometimes I have a craving for them at dinner time but still no waffles here. I smelled waffles last Sunday while on a walk in the neighborhood, it's the first time I've thought of them for a long time. YUM!
I still think Bisquick makes the best waffles...adding bacon grease in place of the butter it the BEST!!! Waffles al la Pa!
new hot tub! awesome!! and yum, i love waffles... i want some! and what's this les about pumpkin batter mix??? i'm so going to tjs!!
wow, didn't know blogging about waffles would generate so many comments!
love the hot tub.
I am afraid to use a waffle iron.
Post a Comment