Pepperoni and Romano Pinwheels
Grilled Flank Steak, Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette
Crispy Polenta Fries, Herb Salt
Roasted Carrots
Homemade Dark Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream
Nana's Butter Rich Cookies, Browned Butter Frosting
The pinwheel appetizers are my new favorite! I ripped the recipe out of either Bon Appetit or Gourmet a few years ago and have never made it. So far I've made it twice this weekend (Friday night snack for Laker's game at Chris's house, and tonight for Mother's Day). They are great little one-bite snacks. Just remember to be sure to roll them tight or you won't get the "pinwheel" look when you're done. Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup grated asiago cheese (I used Romano instead)
3/4 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 TBSP Dijon
2 oz. sliced pepperoni
1 egg, beaten
Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl (I used fresh herbs instead of dried). Cut puff pastry crosswise in half to form 2 rectangles. Spread 1 TBSP Dijon on each half, leaving 1 in. plain border at 1 long edge. Place the pepperoni in a single layer atop mustard. Top pepperoni with cheese mixture. Brush plain border with egg. Starting at side opposite plain border, roll up pastry, sealing at egg-coated edge. Chill rolls until firm, atleast 30 min, up to a day. Preheat oven to 400. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and lightly spray with oil. Cut each roll into about 30 1/4in. rounds. Transfer pinwheels to prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
*After tasting them, I think they would be great with sun-dried tomatoes instead of pepperoni (for you vegetarians)
4 comments:
They're so cute!
i was waiting for the picture. yummers!
YUMMY~~I want to know more about the polenta fries. The dark choc strawberry ice cream is making my mouth water at 8:50am... All sounds wonderful.
i'm always so hungry after reading your blog; looks delicious. i'm actually going to try that muffaleta thing (spelling?) without the meat.
Post a Comment