Monday, June 7, 2010

Watermelon Agua Fresca

See, I promised more food posts, and here you go!
The past few weeks I have been craving fruit, fruit, and more fruit. It must be a pregnancy thing. I have been eating sweet cherries from the farmer's market, fresh apricots, bananas on my french toast, Harry & David pears from my father-in-law, bunches of grapes, and of course, ripe strawberries. Phew, I told you I was craving fruit!
So this weekend I bought a watermelon. The perfect fruit to cut up and snack on throughout the week. My plan was to slice it and serve it as a side to carne asada tacos for the Lakers game Sunday night...but my plan went askew when Scott dropped the watermelon while attempting to balance too many groceries! It cracked right down the middle, and broke into two. No big deal, I thought it was still salvage-able. However, upon further diagnosis, I found that the middle of the melon had transformed into complete mush. I scooped out what I could, and transferred it to a bowl. It wasn't pretty, and it wouldn't be served with my tacos. But the question remained as what to do with the unsalvage-able parts...which was probably half the watermelon!
This is where Scott redeemed himself for dropping the melon in the first place. He suggested we make watermelon aqua fresca, a sweet drink perfect for a pregnant lady. So here you go, Scott's delicious agua fresca....a perfect non-alcoholic drink for a summer day. Or, add some tequila and turn it into a margarita if you're not preggers!

Watermelon Agua Fresca

1 small-to-medium watermelon (as ripe as possible)
1-2 limes
sugar

Scoop out the watermelon flesh and blend in a blender thoroughly. Strain through a mesh sieve or strainer. Use a ladle to push the blended mixture through the sieve or strainer (to make sure you get it all through!). Add lime juice and sugar to taste. If your watermelon is really ripe, you won't need much sugar (maybe like 1 tsp), if your watermelon is not so sweet, then you need to add more sugar to taste. Add as much lime juice as you like, depending on how much lime flavor you like. If the final product is too thick, you can thin it out with a little water. You can also make this with any type of melon. Best enjoyed outdoors in the sun!
Enjoy =)

3 comments:

Leslie said...

this totally reminds me of a drink we had in aruba! my poor sister was only 5 or 7 or 4 or something and was so obsessed with the watermelon "juice"! she drank it with every meal and it gave her the worst runs EVER.

i'm sure she's STOKED that i'm putting this story on the internet.

tricia said...

this sounds delicious!

devon lorraine ... said...

i LOVE watermelon agua fresca!! but i never thought to make it myself!