This is a versatile recipe. I often substitute the cabbage for those clear cellophane noodles, and your salad is transformed into lettuce wraps (I find the best wrapper is butter lettuce).
I suppose you can also cook the chicken however you please, or even use one of those roasted chickens from the grocery store deli. And of course, you can add or subtract any of the veggies to your liking. To save time, you can buy a bag of pre-shredded cabbage. It's best to serve the salad soon after mixing, or it begins to wilt a bit. I found this recipe years ago in Cooking Light, which explains how I have the nutrition facts at the end.
Chinese Chicken Salad
Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons light creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salad:
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs(I usually poach mine in soy sauce & water)
2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 cup grated carrot
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
To prepare salad, combine chicken and next 5 ingredients (through onions) in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4 servings
calories: 256, fat: 8g, protein: 31.9g, carb: 12.1g, fiber: 3g
(actually, the fat and calorie count is actually lower since I substituted light PB for the real thing)
Enjoy =)
1 comment:
now that i know how to best peel ginger, i'm all over it!
Post a Comment