Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl Potatoes

For not having followed football this year, and not having a clue about the Superbowl teams this year, I had a great time watching the game! Scott and I spent the afternoon watching the game at our friends Brian and Irina's house here in Walnut Creek. We were also joined by Kelly and Levi. The game was super exciting, but even more so was our food, and Irina's growing belly...she just found out today she's having a girl...congrats!
Irina made quite a spread of appetizers, which included guacamole and chips, artichoke dip, and these amazing BLT stuffed tomatoes. I don't have a picture of them, but they are grape tomatoes, scooped out, and stuffed with a cream cheese/bacon mixture. Tastes just like a BLT, amazing! I think Scott ate atleast a dozen himself...If she gives me the recipe I will post it (hint hint Irina...)
For dinner, Brian grilled chicken skewers and veggies, and Scott and I concocted some "Superbowl potatoes". We baked potatoes, scooped out the middles, mashed with cream cheese, milk, and butter, and piped them back into the skins. Then we twice-baked them and added the bacon football lacing. Very festive!
It was a fun afternoon with some amazing football...100 yd. touchdown?! Crazy!

4 comments:

Irina said...

Hi Holly - I just came on here to get the carrot and fennel recipe to make tonight and was reminded that I need to give you the baby blt recipe. Here it is:
1 pound bacon
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sour cream
1/8 cream cheese
(any of the 3 can also be substituted with yogurt. I've made it with mayo, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt combo variations and they have all come out tasting good)
1/4 cup green onions, thinly chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
24 cherry tomatoes (or more depending on the size of tomato)

Directions:

1. Bake bacon at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes on each side, until evently browned (or however you like to make bacon). Let cool and crumble the bacon in a food processor.
2. In a bowl, stir together the mayo/cream cheese/sour cream, bacon, green onions, and parsley until well blended. Set aside.
3. Cut a small slice from the top of each tomato. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the inside of each tomato and discard. Fill each tomato with the bacon mixture (the easiest thing I've found is piping it from a plastic bag), and refrigerate for 1hour. Serve chilled.

Irina said...

P.S. The potatoes were amazing! I want that recipe!

Sarah said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all the food sounds so good and i just ate so i'm not hungry but now i might be again. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

devon lorraine ... said...

just from the title i knew this would be a good post!