Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend Frittata

While Scott creates such breakfast feasts as crabcake benedict and coconut french toast, I have taken it upon myself to master the frittata.
Turkey, onion, pepper frittata with fresh chives

My breakfast speciality is not only light years healthier than Scott's, but it is also something you can make with whatever happens to be in your refrigerator. I love making my frittatas to reflect the season; in the summer I fill it with fresh tomatoes and basil, and in the winter I use chard and kale. You can also use meat and cheese, but I often omit those when I am trying to cook healthy. Frittatas are also a great way to get a bunch of veggies into your breakfast, it fills you up and gets you ready for whatever the weekend will bring! This is a very loose recipe, as there really are no rules in making this:

Holly's Frittata

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Chop and saute whatever veggies you have on hand in a frying pan with oil over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add meat of choice if desired.
3. Beat 1 egg per person in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add fresh chopped herb of choice (if available).
4. Add eggs to veggies in the frying pan. Do not stir. Let mixture cook on the bottom (if you are making a big frittata, this might take awhile, if it is a small one, this only takes a few minutes).
5. Once the bottom and sides are cooked (the top will still be soupy), sprinkle with your cheese of choice and pop in the broiler to finish cooking the top. It is done when the egg mixture is firm (only a few minutes for a small, longer for a large one)
6. Slice like a pizza and serve.
Enjoy =)
Here are some frittata ideas:
Apple sausage, tomato, leek, thyme, gruyere cheese
Fennel, carrot, pepper, basil, goat cheese
Ham, greens, feta cheese
Whatever sounds good...possibilities are endless!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

mmmm i do love fritatas and i can make them. yup finally something you've put on here that i can say - oh yes holly that is quite a treat and not too hard to make.

devon lorraine ... said...

i always wondered how to make those!

J+K said...

sometimes I omit half of the yokes...that way I can add cheese!
makes a great light dinner, too.

Leslie said...

totally doable! i can do this!