Saturday, November 6, 2010

Apple Crisp

So I got a request from Katherine for an easy recipe that even she can make. Katherine is a loyal blog reader and fellow Scrippsie with an awesome kitchen...but too scared to use it! So this is for Katherine...I hope you make this! I also think this recipe would be great for the changing seasons in New Hampshire (ahem...Leslie & Lara!).
I found this recipe in Sunset magazine while visiting my grandparents when I was in either Junior High or High School, and have made it many times growing up. I haven't made it for years, and the other night when my family came over for dinner, I whipped it up as a flash to the past. I had forgotten I had the recipe and how easy it is. You can use apples or pears.
Choose tart apples for baking, such as Pippin or Granny Smith

Peel, core, slice

Sprinkle and mix with spices

Make the crumb topping (I'm using a pastry cutter, but you could use 2 knives...as I did in high school)

Coarse crumb topping

Sprinkle on the apples (its a lot of topping...use it all!)

Out of the oven and ready to serve!

Pear or Apple Crisp

4 medium apples or pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter

Preheat the oven to 350. Place apples in a greased 8 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and water. Mix lightly.
In a bowl, mix sugar and flour. Cut butter into mixture until coarse crumbs. Evenly scatter over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Enjoy =)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that looks delicious!!!!!!! thank you holly for what appears to be a recipe that even i might be able to make!!!!! i will definitely try this one.

Leslie said...

i am so excited to make this! with pears! and thanks for the shout-out, yup. it definitely needs to happen...soon! especially because it looks good in that pan (looks familiar, i think i left it at your place last time!)!!

janet said...

ok, yum!

Holly said...

Leslie...that's my pan, but I do have yours still! I'll send it to you someday...

J+K said...

we loved your apple crisp holly!!
as you know, it is a standard in my repertoire...however i use sherry in place of the water ;-)
and there's nothing better than that streusel topping!