Soup is my favorite winter meal. It is so comforting, and if you make it from scratch, it is really healthy and full of nutrients. If I could, I would make a soup every night, and eat the leftovers for lunch! However, now that my husband is actually home most nights of the week, I have to vary my meals a bit more, so no soup 5 nights a week. Here's the clincher though, Scott never wants soup! He has spent and still spends so much of his career making soups that it just doesn't appeal to him for dinner at home (with the occasional exception to homemade turkey soup). I guess all of us Scrippsies could compare this to wanting more Core, ughh, no thanks! So soup is Scott's Core, except he is a master at soup, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I got a C in Core 1.
Earlier this week, the stars aligned and I could make soup. Scott was resigned to the couch fighting off a cold, there was some spaghetti leftovers in the fridge, and the kitchen was mine! I jumped on this opportunity to serve Scott spaghetti leftovers while I whipped up this pesto-pea soup recipe I had torn out of Gourmet (RIP), with a few adaptions of my own. I was in soup heaven, I ate it for dinner, and then for lunch for the rest of the week. Finally got my soup fix!
Pesto Pea Soup
4 servings
2 shallots, chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 lb frozen peas
4 tablespoons pesto
creme fraiche and chopped chives for garnish
Saute shallot and celery in olive oil over medium-high heat until glistening, about 3-5 minutes.. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and water and simmer until vegetables tender, about 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas and simmer until bright green, about 3 minutes. Stir in the pesto, then puree the soup with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper again.
Garnish with a dollop of creme-fraiche in the middle and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Enjoy =)
4 servings
2 shallots, chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 lb frozen peas
4 tablespoons pesto
creme fraiche and chopped chives for garnish
Saute shallot and celery in olive oil over medium-high heat until glistening, about 3-5 minutes.. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth and water and simmer until vegetables tender, about 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas and simmer until bright green, about 3 minutes. Stir in the pesto, then puree the soup with a hand blender. Season with salt and pepper again.
Garnish with a dollop of creme-fraiche in the middle and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Enjoy =)
My hand blender died a few weeks ago, and I was so excited to replace it with this cool red one! Is it normal to get so excited over a new hand blender?
5 comments:
The hand-mixer is great for soup-making. We make azteca soup where you get to blend peeled tomatoes. I enjoy mash/blending them; you just have to be careful not to bring the wand out of the liquid at an angle or you'll spray your kitchen with sauce.
yowzers that is a lot of red. love it!
why do your posts always make me hungry?
i love your analogy to core. i only liked core 1. i could do that again but 2 and 3 were god awful!
i love that you could eat soup everyday.
and, no wonder we had soup at your house when scott was out of town!
i have all of those ingredients at home right now! totally making it tonight.
looks exactly like mine...Kitchenaid?
Post a Comment