Friday, May 8, 2009

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

I've had this recipe for a few years, tucked into the vegetable section of my recipe binder, but have never gotten around to trying it. I made it last night, and its a quick, easy, healthy meal...only 184 calories (but then I had to pair it with a cup of clam chowder from the Yacht Club...not 184 calories anymore!)
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
(courtesy of Cooking Light)

4 (6-inch) portobello mushrooms, stems removed
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped red tomato
1 cup chopped yellow tomato
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped chives
salt
fresh ground black pepper

1. Preheat broiler
2. Remove brown gills from the undersides of mushrooms using a spoon, discard gills. Place mushrooms, gill sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray (use use a silpat with no cooking spray). Broil the mushrooms for 5 min.
3. While the mushrooms broil, combine the tomatoes, panko breadcrumbs, cheese, chives, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Turn mushrooms over, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Divide tomato mixture evenly among mushrooms. Broil 5 min. or until cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 mushroom)
Calories: 184, Fat: 5.3g, Protein: 12.6g, Carb: 21.6g, Fiber: 3.5g
(I love Cooking Light, they're the only magazine that gives nutrition facts!)

*Instead of broiling, this would be easy to make on the BBQ. Also, its easy to halve the recipe, that's what I did since portobellos come in handy 2-packs at Trader Joes.


**Silpat mats are handy baking tools. They are nonstick silicone mats that go right on your cookie sheet and eliminate the need to grease. I use them everytime I use a cookie sheet...makes clean up a snap! I did ruin one once though...I was browning coconut under the broiler and forgot about it, when I remembered it, the house was full of smoke and the coconut flakes were charcoal, and the silpat was forever stained black...oops =)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

looks delicious! any substitutes for the tomatoes you could recommend.

Unknown said...

hahahaha, i was thinking the same thing as sarah! that's funny. i hate tomatoes. i wish i didn't b/c sometimes they look so pretty and red and juicy, but blech! i just don't like the taste.

devon lorraine ... said...

hee hee, i LOVE tomatoes but feel the same towards steaks/red meats as katherine does for tomatoes. i wish i liked them, because sometimes they look/smell so good!

zuchini maybe? how do you spell that?

devon lorraine ... said...

zucchini. oops.

Holly said...

I would think you can substitute any veggie you want: zucchini, bell peppers or fennel would all work. The only thing is, I would precook the veggies before stuffing in the mushroom.

courtney said...

stupid question, but one that may avoid disaster - when you broil, do you leave the oven door partially open, or is that a wive's tale?