For the past few months, a threatening pop-up kept appearing on my computer screen: "Startup disk almost full." Didn't think too much of it since it said almost full. However, I did know that I was nearing the full capacity of my little 5 year old Powerbook G4, it only has 55GB memory, and I only had 3MB available. So, being a responsible computer owner, Scott and I decided to take all of our music collection off the computer and store it on an external hard drive to free up some space. Seems easy enough, but once we transferred the music, all our programs started shutting down: IPhoto (and my 3,000 pictures with it), internet, Microsoft Word, Itunes...everything GONE! Preparing for the worst, I came to terms that I lost all my photos and would most likely have to buy a new computer with a credit card, ugh.Being a mac user, I made an appointment at the Genius Bar (the help center at Apple Stores, run by a bunch of techie guys). Scott and I took our computer in Saturday morning, feeling like we were going to get a life or death diagnosis on a loved one. Charles was our tech guy, and he single handedly saved our computer from a brink of disaster...he restored all my photos, erased a bunch of old programs, backed up everything on our external hard drive...and it was free! Seriously, I bought a mac 5 years ago, hearing good things about it from my brother, and now I am a mac user for life. This is the first problem I have had in 5 years, and the company fixed it on the spot for free. Wow, impressive customer service. Oh, and get this...Scott and I took it back home and had trouble downloading Firefox, so on Monday Scott went back to the Apple Store and they worked with him for 2 hours to get our baby back to top shape. Phew, disaster averted...computer is back!
9 comments:
How great! I'm glad your computer is safe and that you saved all your pics. Yay!
i totally thought that this was going to be about mac and cheese ('holly cooks' and all), but saved photos are good too!
that's amazing! i need to back my stuff up. everytime i go in there they ask if i've baked it up. when i say no i get the same lecture.
Go, Charles! You da man!
I'm a mac user for life, too. I think I converted around the same time as you, just about five years ago.
I'm sure you kept Skype on there and asked about getting a mic and camera set up right?
i totally thought it would be mac and cheese too! haha. i love mac - i converted (by my brother) about 3 years ago i think?? i bought myself a bday present when i lived in nyc. whenever that was :) anyways, i love mine too. i need to back it up - i have some stuff backed up, but since i don't really understand fully how to do it, i just ignore it. smart, i know. i'll get around to it some day... but, i am so happy that you got your photos back! yay! and it was all free. no way!! as for my photos, i do upload everything to ofoto so it stays in iphoto and ofoto and on computer and internet just to make sure. i'd cry if i lost all my photos!
Christina...we still have Skype! Katherine, what is ofoto? I know about idisk, that mac online storage thing that you pay a yearly fee to use (but I don't use it)
ofoto is free. it's actually kodakgallery.com now... you can store for free there and buy prints and stuff. i've used it for years and years... it's easy to do too... i mean if i can figure it out!!!
oh go to ofoto.com or kodakgallery.com - they take you to the same spot.
Post a Comment