Thursday, June 4, 2009

Zucchini Oven Chips


Summer's almost here, and with it comes a whole new season of fruits and veggies to cook with! Zucchini is getting good again, so its about time to make that wonderful zucchini and basil soup again. Here's a new zucchini recipe that's a healthy side dish. It makes a great french fry substitute, especially if you cut the zucchini lengthwise into french fry shapes:

Zucchini Oven Chips

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups slices zucchini (about 2 small zucchinis)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl.  Dip zucchini slices in the egg, and dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.  
Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet.  
Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp.  Serve immediately.  Yield: 4 servings.  

Nutrition facts: I changed a few things from the original recipe from Cooking Light, but with the changes I made, I am guessing there are about 100 calories per serving.  To make it even lighter, sub fat free milk for the egg, and that will bring the calorie count down to 61 per serving (but the recipe turns out better with the egg coating!)

8 comments:

devon lorraine ... said...

what a great idea. and i would have never known the milk could sub for the eggs if you didn't say. though i think i'd try it with egg first. what if just used egg whites?

Scott said...

This is scott! Yes you can use egg whites but you will need to whip them a bit so they will adhere to the zucchini.

Scott said...

I did not know I was signed in as myself. I do know that I am Scott!

devon lorraine ... said...

thanks scott for the tip! i love personal chef advice! or rather, personal advice from a chef. i wish you were my personal chef though.

Leslie said...

this is terrific. it's like q&a with a real chef! should be constant added feature of this blog. i'm loving it.

next up...lemon ricotta pancakes. :)

Unknown said...

yum... i'm not the biggest zucchini fan, but that actually looks good!

Sarah said...

in the spirit of my substitution questions (it really is a theme) can you sub out another veggie for zuchs? i don't like zuchs.

Stephanie N. said...

Oh, what great timing! Zucchini came in our CSA share today, and I was feeling uninspired about it.

Sorry for the tardy commenting - I'm still playing catch-up.