Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Police

A few months ago, Scott and I bought tickets to see The Police in San Diego. We meant to buy inexpensive lawn seats (well, inexpensive is an understatement for a Police concert, but we wanted the cheap seats), but what ended up happening was we called Ticketmaster at the exact time they went on sale and ended up with Orchestra seats, I think we were in the 10th row, in the pit! How could you say no to those tickets? I have to say though, they cost quite a bit more than the lawn seats...
So Memorial Day was the concert. We ventured down to San Diego early so we could meet up with Carla and Mike for an early dinner at Cozymels (a yummy Mexican place in La Jolla). Our plan was meet for dinner at 5:45, eat, and continue on our way to Chula Vista for the 7:30pm show. Elvis Costello was the opener, and we figured he would play for an hour, putting The Police on stage around 9pm. We left La Jolla at 6:50pm, hopped on the freeway, and about 10 min. later we arrived at our off ramp in Chula Vista. The only problem was the freeway was STOPPED with cars trying to exit for the show. A good 30 minutes later we were finally off the freeway. Now, Cricket (formerly Coors) Amphitheatre is about 2 miles off the freeway. It took us over an hour to travel those 2 miles. It was solid jam packed with Police fans, with no real police to be seen anywhere directing traffic or amphitheater employees guiding parking. It was complete chaos!! By this time, it was 8:45 and we were stuck in the driveway to the venue, we were near a parking lot, but not in it yet. Then we heard the crowd cheer in the amphitheater and heard Sting singing Message in a Bottle! We inched our way forward and eventually made it to the VIP lot. It cost $25 to park there, I gave the teenage attendant $30, she had no change so we sped by her, found a spot, ran to the entrance (stopping at will call since Scott accidentally threw out our tickets*), into the venue, stopped to buy 2 $12 beers, and ran to our 10th row seats. Phew! Only missed the first song!
Once inside, the concert rocked, and we couldn't ask for better seats. It isn't very often that I actually don't have to stand on my tip toes at a show, and this was one of those times. I could see Sting close and clear...nothing and no one in my way. Here's some video of the show (it's probably totally illegal to post this, so don't report me!)
Roxanne

Every Little Thing

They played for about 1 1/2 hours, and the best song of the night was definitely So Lonely, they really rocked out on that one! I have video of it, but Scott was dancing while holding the camera, so it is not very watchable. After the show, it took us almost an hour to return to the freeway. Ugh, never going to a show in Chula Vista again! The next day, I talked to Carla, who lives in San Diego. She said it was in the papers and on the news that the parking/traffic situation was so horrible. I looked it up online, and found hundreds of complaints on the SD Tribune website. Apparently, there were people who only caught The Police encore because it took them so long to park (even though they arrived at the venue well before the show started). I guess Scott and I are lucky we only missed Elvis Costello and 1 Police song...
*A funny thing happened last night after I wrote this. I pulled out a bag full of wedding stuff, and there were our Police tickets! Seriously, we tore our house apart looking for them, and Scott was sure we must have thrown them out. You have to understand though, our bedroom is chocked full of wedding regalia...

4 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

What fun! Sting is SO sexy. Did he sing Fields of Gold? That song gets me all weepy.

I'm curious, what did you think of Songs from the Labyrinth? Bryce and I saw a PBS special on it a year or two ago. It was fascinating, and did I mention that he's really, really sexy?

Leslie said...

Ew! Sting is NOT sexy! But I do love me some police. Can't believe the parking debacle!! There's something about SD and inability for crowd control. Amy + friends have been gradually packing up their things and taking/shipping them home over the last few weeks so that when their last final is done, they're down to a couple of bags to throw into a car. A couple of big ass events are going to prevent parents from getting their kids+belongings out in any sort of sane manner so the school is TELLING them that they need to move out like this. Crazy!

Glad you didn't miss much although I also love the Costello.

devon lorraine ... said...

woah, so glad you made it in time! could you imagine if you hadn't???!!

will try to call you this weekend for the wedding update. we are getting so excited!

courtney said...

LOVE Sting. But not in a sexy sort of way...

What a nightmare, you guys must have been stressing stuck in traffic, and with the lost tickets! Thank god it all worked out.