We finished the night with pumpkin, apple and pecan pies while watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (not a tradition...but no other good movies were on).
Bright and early the next morning, my mom, Aunt Janet and I voyaged to South Coast Plaza for our traditional "day after Thanksgiving shopping trip". Nana did not join us this year since she was not feeling well, but she gave us her list and we shopped for her..it's fun spending someone else's money! Our trip is very fine-tuned, from years of day-after shopping adventures. We arrive at 8:30, park right up front. Then we try to hit all the big stores before noon, when they have store-wide specials like "25% until noon". We successfully navigated these sales at H&M, Macy's Anne Taylor, Nordstrom, and others. At 12:30, we break for lunch. This year we ate at Marche Moderne, a new French Bistro in the mall. Scott and I had an amazing dinner there a few months back. The lunch was awesome too. I had mini burgers with carmelized onions, truffle oil, and some sort of cheese on a brioche bun. My mom and aunt had tarts with proscuitto, gruyere, and other goodies on it. We enjoyed lunch with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. After our pampering meal, we were ready again to fight the crowds and and hit a few more stores before heading back to Claremont. This year, in addition to xmas shopping, my mom bought a mother-of-the-bride outfit (not one of those horrible dress/jacket things they sell at bridal shops), Aunt Janet bought a dress for the wedding, and we checked out Bridesmaid dresses at Ann Taylor (Devon...take note). Once back in Claremont, Pa made us martinis to calm our tired feet, and we ate leftovers for dinner.
I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!
7 comments:
what a whirlwind, it sounds exhausting but delicious. What's cranberry ice?
I just put down the December issue of Orange Coast Mag, new building coming to Fashion Island set for 2009 to house none other than Dean & DeLuca. And I saw a rave review for Blue Corral, adjacent to and owned by the same pair as Flemings, and its selection of over 60 vodkas. Ever been?
Once I was lucky enough to participate in black Friday shopping with these ladies. Indeed, my favorite part was lunch. I saw your bridesmaids dress note, and note taken.
cranberry ice is like a sorbet, but icier. Basically it is sugar, water and cranberries boiled together, strained, and frozen. We eat it with our dinner.
I heard Blue Corral is delicious, but I have never been. Flemings is owned by Outback, Inc (the steak people). I hate knowing that because Flemings is a great place and Outback is not.
i'm tempted to make the cranberry ice and serve it in a martini glass. that sounds so yummy to me right now.
courtney, email me if you want the recipe, its very refreshing.
PS your arms look buff!
where's holly --- is this finals week?
Post a Comment