Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hong Kong: Buddha

Day #3 took us to a giant bronze seated Buddha (I think it is the 2nd largest one!). This Buddha sits on a hilltop on Lantau Island. In order to get there, you can take a long and twisty bus ride, or you can opt for the cable car ride, which takes you over the water and up some hills. Of course we opted for the cable car.
Over the water...
There's the Buddha!

Lantou Island is the home to a monastery, the giant Buddha, and a fishing town. Our first stop on the island was lunch: Japanese style noodles. Yummy! Pretty much just a bowl of delicious broth with your choice of noodles and veggies. I had buckwheat soba noodles, while Scott chose udon.
Scott demonstrates proper noodle slurping technique.

It was HOT and HUMID that day, and this pregnant lady was not looking forward to hiking up quite a steep step of stairs to reach the Buddha. But armed with a Scripps baseball hat, a bottle of water, and Scott's promise of a popsicle upon our return, I made the journey to visit Buddha. It was worth it up top, Buddha was magnificent (and my popsicle was good too!).
Peonie & I are the Buddha!
Armed with my hat and water bottle, ready to embark up the stairs!
Up, up, up

We made it!

After visiting Buddha, we stumbled upon this Kung Fu show put on by the Shaolin monks. I couldn't see a darned thing due to the crowd, so I am grateful Scott took these photos.


This is my favorite Scott photo of the whole trip!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Mmmmm....noodles sound so yummy right now. And that last pic totally threw me off! I was scrolling too fast through the dancing monk pictures and I could have sworn that was the face of a monk!! Hahahahaha!

p.s. you don't look sweaty at all in those photos. not fair.

Janet Faulkner said...

Love the scott picture too.....it's so him!!!

Unknown said...

love those pics of scott! awesome!!!

and i'm not seeing a bump. you need more bump pictures please!!!

Stephanie N. said...

The kung fu show looks so cool!