Monday, January 26, 2009

In the OC

After the surprise party, we had 1 more day to spend in Orange County. Actually, it wasn't even a whole day. We had to drive home at a reasonable hour since I had to work at 7:30am the next day. So we squeezed in as many visits as we could in a day, which got off to a late start since we were up for 20 hours the day before!
First, we met up with Scott's mom for lunch. She has a new job at a retirement community in Laguna Woods (previously known as Leisure World). She works in this upscale condo tower for old folks, very fancy, but in an old kind of way...it looked like the lobby chairs came out of the haunted mansion at Disneyland.
After lunch, we visited with Brian, Nichole, and Micah. I can't believe how much Micah has grown since we've moved! Not only has he learned to roll over and sit up, but he is about ready to start crawling...he does that thing where he assumes the position, sways back and forth, and then doesn't quite know what to do next. So cute. He's already 8 months old.
Finally, we peeled ourselves away from the cute baby and raced to Fullerton to meet up with Kevon, Scott's old co-worker at Kimera and catering partner.This is what happens when chefs get together...they compare their knives!
Originally, our plan was to hit the road home by 4:30pm, giving us a Walnut Creek arrival time of 10pm. But we dawdled too long at Brian and Nichole's, and didn't end up meeting with Kevin until after 4pm. We haven't seen Kevin since we moved, so he and Scott had lots of restaurant buzz to catch up on, and we didn't leave there until 6pm. In the end, we arrived home around midnight. But hey, I can't complain, since I got to visit with old friends.

2 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

Oy, you must have been pretty tired the next day. I remember driving by Liesure World on trips to the beach when I was a kid. I always thought that place looked really cool from the outside.

Sarah said...

did anyone notice the two mean with big knives in the parking lot? that would have freaked me out!

sounds like a fantastic trip. hopefully you both got to rest on that long drive north.