If you watch the Food Network, you are most likely familiar with Tyler Florence, chef and host of such shows as: How to Boil Water, Food 911, and Tyler's Ultimate. His most recent endeavor is creating a cookware line, which sells at Macys. He is also on the "culinary council" of Macys, which is a network of well-known chefs that sell their wares, have miniature restaurants in various Macys, and do cooking demonstrations in the stores. That brings us to Wednesday at Macys Union Square. Tyler Florence was doing a cooking exhibition to demonstrate his new cookware and talk about his most recent cookbook.A few days prior, Scott's catering company (Barbara Llewellyn Catering), gave Scott a job on Wednesday as "Tyler Florence's Personal Assistant". What! That is so cool! So I promptly went online to Macys and reserved a spot for the cooking demonstration.
I showed up to Macys early, found some seats (Leslie was meeting me later), and much to my surprise, Scott was center stage in the demo kitchen frying calamari. A few days later, he told me people were walking by while he was prepping and saying "Is that Tyler Florence? I think that's him!".

The seats began to fill with eager Tyler Florence fans, while Scott finished prepping and disappeared back into the green room. I wasn't sure if Scott would even be on the stage for the demo, but when Tyler Florence came out, there was Scott, right on the stage with him! His job was making sure he had everything he needed.
So although they did not actually cook together, it was pretty cool! Tyler even called Scott "chef" when he needed something...like "Where's the halibut....thanks Chef." Later on he lightened up and began calling Scott "man"...like "Thanks for the peeler, man."
Tyler made a halibut/lentil dish, and then the best fried calamari I have ever tasted, and ended with ricotta gnocchi (delish!).
The audience of about 100 people tasted each dish, and the audience tastes were all prepped by Scott and his team.
Look at the big audience!After the demo, Scott remained on stage and schmoozed with little old ladies who had cooking questions, while Leslie and I tracked down Tyler Florence to sign our new cookbooks.
I took tons of pictures with my camera, but thankfully Leslie arrived with a "real" camera to better document the experience. There were even professional photographers there, and one of them sent me his pictures. So thank you, Barry Jan for sending me photos, and hopefully I will get Leslie's photos soon too.









8 comments:
Oh, I'm such a chef groupie! Scott looks wonderful on stage - he's obviously a natural. Food Network here he comes!
hoorah! i'm glad you got your post together so fast. we've got some folks coming over on wed for that brisket and i'm super excited to use that personalized tyflo information. give me a bit to wrangle that piece of meat and i'll send the pics your way!
i asked leslie all about this when we spoke over the weekend. it sounds and LOOKS like it was awesome. so cool.
this is so freaking cool!!!!!
congrats to scott. he's totally going to be the next tyler florence.
That is so awesome!! I love how nice Scott's wedding ring looks while he's busy being chef! So cool that he got chosen to be the assistant!!!!
how cool! and i'm not even a chef groupie!! looks like such a fun day! very very cool :)
btw, i'm starving and that food looks delicious!
Omigosh, how awesome! You must have been brimming with pride for your husband being up there and all handsome and dashing! Your adoration shows in your writing... :-)
Post a Comment