Friday, August 24, 2007

Night out with Nichole

When the boys are busy working nights, the girls will go out and play! Scott, like usual, was working this Friday night, and Brian (Nichole's husband) was out of town for business. So the Irvine Spectrum beckoned to us....for those that don't know, the Spectrum is a HUGE suburban sprawl outdoor mall/restaurant/bar scene in Irvine. Nichole decided beer was on the menu for the night, so our first stop was The Yardhouse for some tasty Purple Haze beer (hint of rasberry flavor, but not too fruity). After a couple beers and a couple guys hitting on us despite our rather large and shiny diamonds, we headed to the next bar. On the way, we stopped to get our hair straightened (becuase that is the kind of stuff you can do at the Spectrum). We stopped (or rather were stopped) by a very energetic foreign boy at a kiosk, and armed with a hair straightener, he turned Nichole from drab to fab! He tried selling us a pink striaghtener for $120! I am quite happy with my $14.99 version from Target. Next I had an urge to play skee-ball, so we proceeded to Dave & Busters. This bar scene was quite a bit younger and the beer selection was much smaller, so we settled with Fat Tires. We headed to the skee-ball games with our beers and a $7 gamecard. Now, I am a self-proclaimed skee-ball champ, but Nichole had to cheat to get a good score! About 20 minutes later, our $7 was gone, but we had 101 tickets. We needed 110 for a shot glass or 150 for a glittery pen. We made friends in the ticket store, and swindled leftover tickets, netting us a lovely red pen with glitter paint and plastic jewels encrusted in it (when you touch it your hands get covered in glitter and smell like glue). Totally worth the $7 we paid for it =)
*sorry about the poor picture quality here, they were taken on my phone

6 comments:

devon lorraine ... said...

it's too bad that nichole couldn't step up and earn ya'll some more tickets. red glitter pens are cool and all, but if she was as good as you, i am sure you could have won a much more magnificent prize, like an over the door basketball hoop with a fluffy styrofoam ball. your hands smell a little different after touching it, not to say they would smell any better than glue, but they are good for many more possibilities than a pen. and, by the way, the pinkness of the flat iron is completely worth the extra $105.01; i am sure your target straightener isn't pink or any variation thereof, come on, hol. and i think i met that v. same enthusiastic "foreign boy" when i was at the spectrum with slyman and the chad in may. good to know you completely used and abused the ole' irvine spectrum. keep up the good work and keep the documentation a comin'!

Unknown said...

nice!! i remember our skeeball days from the fun zone. that was always so, well, fun! i don't think we ever spent our tickets though...weren't we saving for the knives or the croquet set?!

Holly said...

We had so many tickets from our Thursday night skee-ball nights, I think I finally threw them out when Lara went to Boston. Remember when we went to the Balboa Saloon in our PJs?

Anonymous said...

I really tried to win more tickets. Guess I need to go to Chucky Cheese and work on my game!! Perhaps I needed more drinks to get my game on...
It was good times and next time I will rock at skeeball and we can aim for a Hello Kitty bag or a yoyo. Does the pen still work??

Holly said...

Nichole, I will bring the pen over to spend some time at your house now. I don't use it because it is smelly and glittery, we got totally ripped off =)

Stephanie N. said...

"*sorry about the poor picture quality here, they were taken on my phone"
Yeah, that's what I always say when my photos look like I have enjoyed a Purple Haze and a couple of Fat Tires.
I wish we could get Fat Tire on tap in Philly. Not that there aren't many great local brews out our way, but it's what we enjoy every time we fly out of Denver after a (dry) week with Bryce's family in Kansas, so it has sentimental value for us.