Yesterday was Scott's birthday, so I cooked dinner for 14 people in our tiny apartment. We started with brie and mango salsa quesadillas. For dinner, I made twice-baked potaoes with carmelized onions and gruyere cheese, grilled corn salad with edamame and tomatoes, grilled peaches, and Scott smoked some beautiful tri-tip steaks. I have to gives kudos to my mom for this menu, since I got the idea for the corn salad and potatoes from the dinner she cooked for my brother's birthday this year. Scott's mom made the cake (as always since she makes the best cakes ever!). She made a doberge cake (pronouced do-bash). Doberge is a french dessert that has been a staple in New Orleans forever. It is 6 thin layers of white cake with layers of chocolate custard in between, topped with cocoa buttercream frosting and chocolate ganache. It is unbelievably delicious. You can make doberge in a cake or squares. His mom brought the squares to Easter this year and blew my family away. Maybe she will bake them for the wedding...
Here are some party pictures =)
Here I am making the potatoes.

Scott's mom and my friend Nichole.

The guys getting food: Sam, Matt (dev went to 1st grade with him), and Chris.

Scott's brother Jeff (best man) and cousin Melissa.

Doberge cake (only 3 candles, but Scott turned the big 29)

Scott and I grilling peaches.
6 comments:
how funny, my next post is going to be about patrick's birthday (5 days ago! august 4th -- the big 30!)
everything looks amazing!! is scott's mom doing your wedding cake? she's super cute!
and cute top in the last pic. wish i could see it better!
It was a wonderful dinner and we had a fun time. Thanks for having us over!!! See you Sunday, do you want to all travel down in a caravan?
oh my gosh... your post made me so hungry. i'm going to go hunt for brie in my fridge. the cake sounds absolutely mouth-watering. chocolate ganache is my favorite.
Holly,
Your cooking blog always inspires me to be a better cook! I'm also totally in awe of your skills at cooking for such a large crowd! Wow!
I think all of us are sort of on the same food page too. Dave and I went for a tasting with our wedding catering company and the two appetizers we ranked as "must haves" were brie and mango salsa quesadillas and mini twice-baked potatoes with carmelized onions. Coincidence? or is it FATE?!
Sarah M.
just needed to let you know that after reading your blog, i've been wanting twice baked potatoes so badly that we had them last night, and i added blue cheese and it was wonderful, and we also made blue cheese crostini - all in honor of your menu. no chocolate though. darn it.
I love reading about your culinary adventures!
Post a Comment