Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Zipline Maui!


One of our trips in Maui was to a zipline course. I picked this trip, Scott picked a snorkeling cruise (more on that later). Ziplining is about as extreme as I will go...you will NEVER see me on a bungee or leaping from a plane. I was thrilled enough being harnessed and connected via a pulley system to a cable that spanned a canyon.
We set out in a van with our fellow zipliners to our base camp. At the camp, we received our designer harnesses and fashionable helmets. Then we were off to the course. We piled back into the van, and four-wheeled up to the first zipline (it was so bumpy that we had to wear our helmets in the van!). At the first line, our guides gave us a quick how-to, and then we were off!

Our guides hooked us up to the line, and all we had to do was walk down the stairs a few steps and we would start ziplining. At the other end, there is a ramp for landing (and a guide to help us!). It is quite a rush and I was a little nervous on the first one to even look around =)
We had a total of 8 runs, and on each zipline they taught us something new to do, like run and jump instead of inching down the stairs, and learning to steer the pulley so you can turn and see the ocean. I never caught on to the steering thing and approached many landings backwards...thank goodness the guides were there to straighten me out! We hiked between each zipline, and took in beautiful views of the ocean and the hills and canyons behind Lahaina Town. The last zipline was a whopping 1100 feet long, and by then I was over my nerves and able to enjoy the ride =)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

woooooohooooo! fun!

Unknown said...

my parents have done that before in hawaii and i would love to try it too. it looks like soooo much fun!!