Last Saturday 4 police officers were shot and killed in East Oakland. The shooter was a wanted parolee armed with an assault rifle. He first shot 2 traffic cops, then fled to an apartment where he proceeded to shoot 2 SWAT officers. This all took place on 74th and MacArthur in Oakland. I work on 73rd St., a mere 3 blocks from the tragedy.
I've already let my boss know I am looking for a transfer next year! Now, due to "safety reasons", all the staff must leave school by 4pm everyday, and all the doors are locked immediately following the school day. We already have had a full time security guard at the school...
In other news, I feel completely safe at my other Oakland school in the Fruitvale district. It's located in more of a "community" area. Don't worry Nana, I'm at the better school 3 days a week!
6 comments:
Wow. Scary. And how awful for the children.
oh my goodness. what are the kids saying about it?
I didn't realize that was so close to you. I'm glad you and the kids are safe!
oh geez! that is scary! i had no idea you were so close. i heard about that on the news - so so sad!!
holy crappo! i heard about that on the news out here. transfer!!
Sounds awful Holly!
I hear you`re on spring break the week that we`re there. I can`t wait to see you guys. We`re counting the days like kids waiting for Christmas.
Post a Comment