Monday, February 20, 2012

What's cooking?

Roasted artichokes (these are right before they went in the oven)
 It's been a learning curve to get a healthy home cooked meal on the table every night with a 1 year old wanting your attention all the time.  It's been difficult to realize that I can't make meals like I used to on a regular basis.  Nowadays, it's about getting a Jaynie friendly meal on the table with as little prep time as possible.  I've been making meals such as: chicken and dumplings, quick stir frys, slow cooker stews, and easy pastas.  I haven't even thought to take pictures and post these, but maybe I should.
Pretzel baguette ham and cheese sandwich
 On the weekends, Scott and I decided we need to make a point to cook together one of the nights, after Jaynie goes to bed.  It's been only a few weeks of our new plan, but so far we have made roasted artichokes, crab cakes with red pepper relish, grass fed rib-eye steak with fresh herb steak butter, leek bread pudding, and apple fritters. 
Grass fed rib-eye with herb steak butter, leek bread pudding, braised balsamic rainbow chard

Leek bread pudding.  To die for.  From Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc cookbook.
Apple fritters with vanilla ice cream and honey.  Also Thomas Keller's idea.

Now that we're back on the cooking train, I'll be posting some recipes again!

5 comments:

janet said...

Well it certainly looks and sounds like you're making fun and delicious meals!! It's always a challenge when you have little ones. At least you're not doing mac-a-noonoo's and hot dogs...with frozen peas on the side!

Unknown said...

omg, it all looks delicious!!!!

J+K said...

OH YUM!!!
I think I need that bread pudding recipe...it's not fattening is it? No, of course not =)

Leslie said...

i couldn't even dream of the menu you come up with on your only-20-min-to-cook nights.

courtney said...

i've been doing quite a bit of thai food take out these days... those artichokes look amazing.