Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cooking with Lemons

Our lemon tree was drooping with ripe lemons last week, and after Scott did a little garden pruning, their were about 25 lemons in the ground. Not wanting to see them go bad, we spent the rest of the day cooking with lemons. Here is our lemon menu (not really a menu since we didn't eat all these dishes at one meal):
Holly's lemon chicken
Scott's lemon sorbet
Holly's lemon meringue pie
Scott's perserved lemons
Here is a quick overview of the dishes:
Lemon chicken: I pounded out 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and dredged them in flour. Next, I browned them on the stove and removed from the pan. I added chicken broth, lemon juice,lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, and a little onion to the pan. I simmered the sauce to thicken it, then added the chicken back into the sauce to coat and serve. It was very lemony tasty!
Lemon sorbet: Scott mixed lemon juice, sugar, water and lemon zest until dissolved. Then he whisked in 2 egg whites and poured it all in the ice cream maker. Easy! The egg whites add air to the mixture so it doesn't freeze solid like ice. Mmmm, I am still enjoying this in the freezer.
Lemon Meringue Pie: If you want to make it, look it up in Joy of Cooking, that is what I used =)
Preserved Lemons: This is like salt-curing a lemon, which mellows the acidity of the lemon. It takes about 2 weeks to make these. Scott halved the lemons (skin stays on), and filled a mason jar with them. Next he mixed equal parts salt and sugar and filled the space between the lemons in the jar. Finally, he poured in lemon juice, and shook the jar until everything was combined. It is sitting in the fridge now, we can try them next week. Preserved lemons are great with chicken, salads, fish, in rice, and is popular in Moroccan and Meditterean dishes. Here's the pie and preserved lemons.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

yummy i love lemons! this all looks quite tasty.

courtney said...

that lemon meringue looks delicious.

devon lorraine ... said...

those preserved lemons are gorgeous!