Friday, March 28, 2008

More Chicago

I've been home 2 weeks already, and I still haven't finished posting my Chicago trip. So here's the rest of it (I started so organized going day by day, but now you get it all at once!)
Saturday was the wedding, I already posted about that a few weeks ago. It was a success, and everyone loved it and had fun (some people had a little too much fun!) The next morning we all met up for brunch with the newlyweds at Bin 36 near the hotel. I had corned beef hash, as a nod to St. Patty's Day. It was DELICIOUS! After brunch, a group of us trudged on to sightsee in the 31 degree weather. Katherine, Lara, Leslie, Jamie, Dave, Tara, Scott & I went to see the "bean", which is really a public art sculpture called "cloud gate", but looks exactly like a kidney bean. It reflects the Chicago skyline, and you can stand under it to get a trippy-dizzy view. Here's Leslie, Scott, and Lara at the bean.Then we braved the wind off the lake to walk towards the Buckingham Fountain (the one in the beginning of Married-With-Children), which was conveniently turned off for winter. Our tour group at the fountain.After our disappointing fountain tour, we returned to Michigan Ave. and hit up Garrett's Popcorn. If anyone is going to Chicago, you HAVE to stop here. It's the only popcorn store with a line out the door, and you have to get the "mix", fresh-popped warm cheese and caramel popcorn mixed in the same bag. Heavenly! You get the sweet & salty in the same bite...ingenious!
Later that night, Scott and I met up with Lara and Katherine and dined at Tango Sur, a BYOB Argentinien steakhouse. Lara and I ordered some meat grill and I kid you not they served us 3 pounds of meat (shortribs, steak, sweatbreads, sausages). I'm sure Katherine enjoyed the remainder of the week with our leftovers =) By the way, we stopped by Katherine's house before dinner and LOVED it, especially the Scripps green walls and fancy kitchen appliances!
So that pretty much ends our trip. The next morning we ate brunch at Yolk and grabbed a drink for St. Patty's day before we caught our flight home! Here we are by the green river!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the nod to my house!! i too owe some write ups on a lot of things... including the wedding and spain!! i'll get there... eventually!! send me your pictures! i really like the one at the fountain. even though it was off!

courtney said...

i love the green river background. Holly, you look so cute and cozy in all the wedding pictures.

Kat, we need pics of your interior.

Leslie said...

how fun is the "fountain" picture? i put quotes around it because i feel like they should call it a stucture in the off-season for better accuracy.