Thursday, April 17, 2008

Career change???

Now that I am 5 weeks away from finishing my Speech Language Pathology Assistant license, I am already looking ahead to figure out what to accomplish next. Of course I will work as a SLPA next year (2 years of part time work has really left a financial mark on me...no more spa pedicures!), but I can't be a SLPA forever, I couldn't work under a speech pathologist my whole life knowing that is my ultimate apiration. However, as many of you know from my griping, speech pathology master's programs are severely impacted, sparsely located, and require lists of pre-reqs to begin. It is a nightmare thinking about it, and only state schools offer it. I have already tried navigating my way through Fullerton and Long Beach, and all I have figured out is that Scripps was well worth the $30,000 each year, you never had to call 6 different people to get a question answered! So because the speech masters is so daunting, I decided to look into audiology programs. Audiology is a growing hearing field, working with hard of hearing clients and dealing with cochlear implants and such things. Sounds so interesting and is very connected to speech, maybe that is a better choice! Ummm, not so much. After looking into it, I find out there is a new minimum doctorate degree to get licensed in CA, called the AUd. And, the only school that offers the program in the WHOLE STATE is San Diego State (although Cal State LA is starting a program too). The program sounds super intense, and there are scary pre-reqs like 5 statistic courses, 3 upper division science courses, and 2 college level math courses. No thanks, I think I'll stick to speech =)
But audiology is so intruiging...I wish I was 18 again and could start college over now that I know what I want to do!

7 comments:

courtney said...

what's with the math requirement?

devon lorraine ... said...

i totally hear you (bad pun)! would love to talk with you more about it offline ...

Sarah said...

i started sweating just hearing those requirements!!

Unknown said...

yeah, those requirements are super scary!!!!! um, no thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

trish said...

i have had so many friends encounter probs like this lately. and i, too, wish i could go back when i was 18 and change it all for the career thing. p.s. i stink at math

Holly said...

i stink at math too, that is why i am sticking to speech!