Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On the job

I'm a week deep into my speech job now, but still not working with the kiddos yet. Hopefully I can get the speech schedule organized and start therapy next week. I'm learning to balance two completely separate work sites...I need double the office supplies, but there is no way I can afford enough therapy materials for both sites, so I am the proud new owner of a bright blue and yellow plastic rolling cart to lug all my speech materials. I look pretty darn cool rolling my cart through the ghetto =)
My speech rooms are less than spectacular, in fact, one of them I'm not sure I can call a room, its more like a closet. The walls are in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint, and the computers and phones are from the early 90s. That's my colorful bulletin board peeking in the background, I had to make my room happy for the upcoming year! That computer does word processing and that's it, there is no internet access, and my other site has no computer at all. Rumor is the speech department will be getting laptops soon...keeping my fingers crossed for that! Today I brought the outdoors into my dreary room by creating a cheerful tree on the wall. Now I don't have to look at the peeling paint. If you look carefully at the photo, you can tell the chair is circa 1972. Oh, and check out the crazy key to my speech "closet"...my little brother says it looks like something out of Harry Potter...
Scott and I are still crashing at my parent's house. Our apartment will be ready this weekend..woohoo!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

It's like a magic closet! You have the magic key and you're transforming it into a world of color and speech fun! At least that's what I'm thinking.

Nichole said...

I'm so happy you are getting settled! Please let me know your new mailing address. I hope you have a great 3 day weekend. We are going to the lake :) I can just picture you rolling your cart in Oakland - NICE

courtney said...

good call on the tree - is there any color paper left to add flowers and apples and anything to cover that blank peeling wall?

Unknown said...

the tree will be seasonally decorated as a speech activity. so next week they are going to decorate apples, then in october we will decorate fall leaves, snowflakes in winter, spring flowers, etc. obviously, the kindergarten teacher is still in me....

Unknown said...

the key does look like it is out of harry potter! the tree is cute! nice work.

devon lorraine ... said...

i'm glad nichole is reading your blog ... have you convinced her to start one so that you can see/read stories of her and micah?

and that's a CRAZY key!! but i'm so glad to hear that the first week has come and gone - you did it, you've made the transition and solidified it with a paying job!

what a big few weeks here. a new marriage, a big move, and a new job!! how are you holding up?