Monday, August 18, 2008

Walnut Creek vs Oakland

We're finally up here in Walnut Creek, but have been living at my parent's house for the last week as our apartment is not ready yet. We're renting from a family who is buying a new house and they are still waiting for the bank to close so they can move...grrrr...I hate living from a suitcase! But Walnut Creek is great...so far Scott and I have taken a day trip to SF to escape the east bay heat, gone to Santa Rosa to visit sister-in-law Kelly (we did some Russian River Valley wine tasting there), and we've gotten to know our new town on our bikes. So without a place to call home, I started my new job today in Oakland. I work for a speech clinic, but the clinic places me in a school district, which then places me at schools. I was placed at 2 elementary schools in Oakland School District. Wow, Oakland School District makes Santa Ana School District look luxurious! In Oakland, we are lucky to get a working computer with internet access (I am pretty sure neither one of my sites come computer equipped). I have to share the music room at one site, and the other site I share with an 80 year old speech therapist who can't hear (atleast I don't have to share students with her, I have my own case load). One site has NO materials. And the neighborhood is not so nice, but there are lovely 10 ft. tall fences erected around the school to protect the staff. I saw 2 police incidences at my training today, but that is not my daily worksite (whew!). But even with all that said, I am excited to work in the inner city...I just love the kids there. School starts next week...cross your fingers that we get to move into our apartment before that =)

6 comments:

Leslie said...

OUSD used to be one of my clients before the state took it over. Had lots of meetings and campus walkthroughs there...be careful! Power in numbers, join forces with other tough teachers, and maybe even some tough kids? Get them to protect you? Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Holly said...

Now that the state took it over there is an insane amount of paperwork and policies we have to follow, I guess every department is in fear of being audited. I'm glad I am a contracter in the district and not a direct employee.

Sarah said...

yikes! i had one of those interesting experiences in oakland with a man, a gun, and another car. it was definitely exciting!

congrats on the successful move, congrats on the great new job, keeping my fingers crossed for your move in.

oh how is scott's job hunt?

devon lorraine ... said...

so excited for your job! and i second sarah's question...

Unknown said...

congrats on the move!! i hope you get in to your place soon!!

Unknown said...

Dude, when we gonna hang out? You live 5 min from us :)

Brian