Tuesday, July 24, 2007

gnocchi vs gnocchi

For some odd reason, I decided to experiment with gnocchi. Maybe is was because I had a whole Sunday open with no plans, or maybe because I have never made gnocchi before, I just don't know. But I found 2 recipes, one from the Dean and Deluca cookbook, a traditional potato gnocchi made with sage, chives, and parsley; and another recipe from Bouchon, a superb restaurant in Napa owned be Thomas Keller. This recipe is non-traditional and did not contain potatoes, but rather a pate a choux (a lovely dough you make on the stove). As a side note, I decided on the Bouchon recipe because Scott and I shared a wonderful lunch at Bouchon with Devon and Patrick right before they moved to Chicago, then we toured Opus One winery and St Supery....but that is another post (but here's a picture anyway)

So here is my rundown on the 2 recipes if anyone ever ventures into the gnocchi-making field. Dean and Deluca's gnocchi was very simple to make, basically mash some potatoes, add some flour, eggs, and herbs, mix it up and it forms a dough that you roll out into a 1/2 inch rope and cut into 1 in pieces. Thats it, then you boil it. The taste and texture is very traditional. I served it with a nice roasted red bell pepper and tomato sauce with sage.
The Bouchon recipe is a bit more involved. This recipe requires a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a pastry bag and tips. First you make a pate a choux (water, butter, and flour), then add eggs, herbs, and cheese (I used comte, but a reggiano would work too). After the dough is mixed in the mixer, it goes in the pastry bag and rises for 30 min. Next, you squeeze the dough directly into simmering water and poach. This gnocchi was very delicate, but the flavor was outstanding. I served it with sauted zucchini and turkey/basil sausage.
Now I usually cook dinner at night, and make a plate for Scott and put it in the fridge so he can eat it when he comes home from work. I made a beautiful plate of the Bouchon gnocchi, and dropped it on the floor! The plate shattered and the food was ruined...so much for my suave kitchen skills =)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

oh no! you dropped the plate!! they both look so delicious. seriously, hol, you should be a chef too!! you have some serious talent there lady!!

Sarah said...

this food looks so good! i should have read this after lunch. how on earth do you know how to cook like this? i am still stuck at the cooking basic linguine with canned red sauce stage.

Holly said...

I guess I am not scared to try a recipe. It is like an experiment, except you can eat the results, and they usually taste good. Seriously, don't be scared to follow a recipe, it is not so hard. And, if you need recipes, the best website for that is epicurious.com, it has all the recipes from Bon Appetit, Gourmet, and Self magazines. Just type in the ingredients you have and it will give you recipes!

devon lorraine ... said...

the bouchon receipe sounds awesome!!

courtney said...

i'm am an avid follower of epicurious.com - good rec, Holly. That food looked absolutely delicious, sounded good even on the floor.

lara said...

Bouchon is my favorite restaurant. I wish you were cooking gnocchi for me!!

devon lorraine ... said...

went out to dinner for work last night and two people ordered gnocci. i told them how my friend just made two different kinds of gnocci and they were very impressed!