Sunday, September 9, 2007

What I've been cooking....

It's been awhile since I posted anything about cooking, so here is a little catch up of what I have been up to lately:
Following up on the roulade Scott and I made a while back, I created an asian-inspired chicken roulade. I julienned carrot, red bell pepper, and green onions. Then I quickly sauteed the vegetables with ginger and sesame oil. Once cooled, I mixed in a little panko (Japanese breadcrumbs...available at Trader Joes, like breadcrumbs but lighter and flakier). This ginger/vegetable/panko mixture was my filling. I butterflied and flattened some boneless skinless chicken breasts, spooned the mixture down the middle, and rolled it up. However, instead of tying the meat and pan roasting it, I tightly wrapped the roll in plastic wrap and poached it in simmering water. It came out beautifully, and I served it with steamed Japanese broccoli (from the Farmer's Market), coconut rice, and a ginger-hoisin sauce. On a side note, cocnut rice is a super easy side dish that pairs well with any asian dish: For 2 servings, boil 3/4 cup light coconut milk (also available at Trader Joes) and 1/4 cup water. Add 1/2 cup white rice (I like Jasmine). Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Last week Scott and I did a pizza and movie night. We created 2 pizzas from scratch and watched Blades of Glory. Scott made a black pepper crust, but if he wasn't around, I would have bought the pizza dough at Trader Joes (wow, this post is becoming quite a plug for TJs!). Our first pizza creation was zuchinni, salami, basil, and chedder cheese. The second was artichoke hearts, pancetta, and smoked gouda. Both were "molto buono!"

3 comments:

courtney said...

One of my major cravings is thai food - on par with your TJ plug, I have to rave about their spicey chili shrimp that comes fully seasoned in a bag (fridge section, not freezer) - i've been serving it with plain jasmine but this week i'm going to try your coconut rice recipe. TJ's has great chutneys too.

Anonymous said...

artichoke hearts, pancetta, and smoked gouda is my choice! Gotta love TJ's... let's get together for dinner next week on Scott's night off.

Leslie said...

how long do you poach the chicken?

ps. picked up the citrus honey (with yuzu) from tj's and am mixing it with everything. tossing with apples on top of salad, in my yogurt + granola, etc.