Saturday, November 22, 2008

Box o' produce

A couple of weeks ago, we signed up for Farm Fresh To You , an organic produce delivery service. We opted to test out a delivery and see how long the produce lasts, and if it is worth it to continue the service. We received the box on Thursday, and now our home is filled with fresh seasonal produce. Here is what we received:
  • 1 bulb BEAUTIFUL bulb fennel (the prettiest fronds I have ever seen)
  • 1 bunch green chard
  • 1 lb broccoli
  • 1 lb satsuma mandarins
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 2 lb liberty apples
  • 1 lb leeks
  • 1 bunch dino kale
  • 2 lb sweet potatoes
  • 10 oz cranberries
Now it's the fun part, deciding what to cook with it all! So far I have made caramelized fennel to eat with my leftover cioppino...delish! And then last night I tossed my leftover fennel with some chard, garlic, Parmesan cheese, dash of nutmeg, and orzo. I am bringing some of the fresh cranberries to Kelly's house tonight to make a pre-turkey day cranberry sauce. And Sunday night I plan on making pan-roasted pork chops with cranberries and kale. The apples are delicious, and I love that they don't have that fine layer of shiny sheen over them, just fresh and natural apples (the way they're supposed to be). My only concern is the amount of produce I have to consume before it goes bad, so we might opt for the smaller box twice a month instead of the regular box once a month. Luckily this month there is a lot of long lasting produce (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apples). My favorite part of the box so far was coming home from work Thursday and finding it on my doorstep...it was like xmas opening it...fun fun fun =)

5 comments:

devon lorraine ... said...

what fun! i love receiving our boxes of surprise produce --- but we DEFINITELY order a small box (but we're also lame in the spontaneous recipe department, though strive to be better!)

courtney said...

i LOVE leeks. I LOVE fennel. Is that odd?
Made the most fantastic braised halibut courtesy of Martha's Nov issue- fennel bulb, tomatoes, garlic, water, olive oil, white wine - simmer, toss in halibut, and it's perfection with rustic bread.

Stephanie N. said...

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait until we're in a living situation where we can commit to joining a CSA like you and Devon have done.

devon lorraine ... said...

steph, and everyone else,

try going to www.localharvest.org and entering your zip.

we found our "farmers" on that website, who offer a program where you do not have to commit.

and courtney, i love, love, love, love fennel.

Holly said...

You don't have to commit for ours either, it is month to month, cancel at anytime. That's why we tried it.