I used to think I worked in a disadvantageous neighborhood in Santa Ana, but now Oakland makes my old Santa Ana school look like Beverly Hills. I've been working in East Oakland for 2 months now, and have learned so much about families in tough neighborhoods.
I was always under the impression that if someone really applies themselves, they will be successful. If you don't like your situation, change it! But now I see that making change and reaching your goals in a low-economical crime ridden neighborhood is a really tough feat. These families have little money and huge drama. Most of the families I have met have had some sort of devastating family tragedy in their past, and that is the norm. My last 3 parent meetings revealed 3 different stories:
1. Mother and baby were hit by a car in Fairfield (and by the way mom told the story it sounds like they were purposefully hit). Baby almost did not survive, but now he is a kindergartner in my speech program!
2. Child's mother had epilepsy and passed away 1 1/2 years ago after a seizure, leaving her kindergartner to be raised by the grandparents, who have a slew of health problems. Now this child is a 2nd grader in my speech program, very sweet and affectionate.
3. Pregnant drug user/alcoholic gives birth while high and drunk, baby born with fetal alcohol syndrome and has a stroke, only weighs 2 lbs. Baby taken away from mother. No one can prove the father is the true father, so baby put in foster care. Mother has a pimp. Father tries to free her from pimp, which will cost $10,000, so instead he shoots pimp and goes to prison for 8 years. All the meanwhile, father's mother fights for custody of the baby. Finally wins after DNA tests prove bloodlines. Child raised my grandma (who she calls mom) and uncle. Dad recently out of prison and establishing relationship with daughter. Mom still out of the picture. Child is in 3rd grade and just graduated from speech!
Now after hearing stories like these, I understand how families are stuck in these neighborhoods. In many cases, education takes a back seat to survival mode, so many students do not receive the needed academic support at home, which dis-emphasizes the importance of education, which in my view is the best ticket out of these situations. I am disappointed that prop. 5 did not pass in CA, that would have created many new drug treatment programs in these neighborhoods, which is a positive step in starting to make these places better. All I can do is help these children communicate better, which hopefully enhances their life.
4 comments:
do you feel that your accomplishments with the kids mean more in your new schools?
it sounds like your hearts cracks a little for each of these kids.
they are so lucky to have you in their lives to give them the help they need!
The work that you do is SO important, Holly. Teachers like you change the world for the better every day.
Go Holly! I found your entry to be very moving. We're so grateful for the work you're doing to help kids who so need asssistance and love.
wow, that is so sad! they are definitely lucky to have people like you in their lives!! i always thought teachers should be the highest paid people, but alas i guess athletes win that one...my heart would break hearing all those sad stories!
Post a Comment