Thursday, November 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!

I think this was the first birthday I have actually spent with my dad since I went away to college! My mom planned a small yet decadent family dinner at Walnut Creek Yacht Club. My parents, Uncle Dick (he's the one who married us), and I met at the Yacht Club for drinks and dinner. Scott was also there, but he was in the kitchen cooking =)
I started the night with a zentini....vodka martini with ginger syrup and mint. My dad had a gin concoction with basil and some sort of infused syrup (I can't remember what), and my mom had what was advertised as something like the "best mai tai ever", and she said it was pretty darn good! After drinks, we moved to our table and started in on the wine. I don't have a picture of the menu, but on the top it said "Happy Birthday Jim". Very cute touch that the restaurant does for all special occasions. When our friends Brian and Irina celebrated their anniversary there, the menu celebrated them! Great keepsake to remember your event (they print the menus daily).
Originally, Scott was going to act as our personal chef for the night, but that plan was put on the back burner when Scott had to instead spend the night prepping canapes for tonight's Narsai David's fundraiser in Diablo. But he still managed to send out a tasty little seared scallop with pepper relish and potato crisp. Great way to whet our appetite prior to the fried prawns and chilled platter of oysters. Mmmm, we tasted 4 types of oysters, and I'm finally starting to discern the fine nuances of oyster taste, like brininess vs. saltiness. It really helps having oyster experts (aka: my parents) to teach my this important stuff!
For the main course, Uncle Dick indulged in a steak and potato "hay" (haha, funny name for fried potato strings!). My parents and I all ordered cioppino, which Chef Scott sent out family style. So a huge bowl arrived at our table loaded with fresh crab legs, mussels, clams, fish, and prawns, all bathed in a rich and spicy tomato broth, and then surrounded with huge garlic cheesy bread. You can't go wrong with that! We bibbed up, grabbed our crab crackers, and dug in to the seafood feast.
Toward the end of the meal, Chef Scott came out to chat and wish my dad a happy day.

Dessert was another grand affair. A trio of treats arrived at our table, garnished with a birthday candle. We shared pumpkin cheesecake, creme brulee, and a wonderfully rich chocolate/peanut butter tart with grey salt caramel and Chantilly cream. I love the sugar fork outline on the plate!
I know my dad enjoyed the night, because seriously, how could anyone not enjoy it with all the good food and drinks? So, thanks for the awesome dinner mom, and Happy Birthday Dad!

4 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

That photo of the four of you is priceless.

devon lorraine ... said...

oh my gosh, that dinner sounds amazing. i want it right now! i think that YOU'LL have to be the one to teach me about oyster nuances, as i think you're the closest to expert i know. my co-worker kate and i sometimes go out for oysters on fridays ... so maybe after a lesson from holly i can impress the pants off of her. not that i want kate to have no pants.

Unknown said...

sounds llike such a great birthday!i love the sugar fork...wow, that's pretty incredible. and garlic bread - YUM! scott looks adorable in his chef's outfit and your dad looks like he had a wonderful time! i love that they personalize the menus. so cute. and i love your new blog design. very cute.

Sarah said...

damn that sounds like a good birthday! and the food... i'm so hungry reading about all this tastiness!!!