
What has the world come to? We just bought a PLASTIC bottle of wine! OK, some explaining is necessary here...Every year around this time, France releases the Beaujolais Nouveau, which is the first wine with the grapes from this year's harvest (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). So the wine is new and young, and meant to be drunk right away, not aged. So in theory, it makes sense to bottle it in plastic, and it leaves 50% less carbon footprint than glass bottles. But still, the whole concept is weird. But hey, you can't do this with a glass bottle!
6 comments:
wow, i've never seen plastic wine bottles, but when you explain it that way - it sure does make sense for b.n.
extent of my knowledge: beaujolais is made from gamay grapes picked by hand in the beaujolais region of france, is made using a special fermentation process but i forget its fancy name, is released the third thursday of november, and served cool. the coolness throws me off. we had beaujolais-villages people come to the wine store when i worked there.
I noticed that the back of the bottle says "serve chilled" but I don't think I ever have had it chilled. I'll try that next time!
You two are just so darned cute. Love the noggin-doiking pic.
i love beaujolais season - hahaha just thought it would be fun to say that.
question: i thought plastic was bad. how does it have less of a carbon footprint?
The plastic bottle weighs a lot less than the traditional glass bottle, so it takes less fuel to ship. So I guess the carbon footprint is lessened through shipping. I will have to do some research to find more out about the type of plastic they use. The bottle says "p" on the bottom...anyone know what that means?
never seen a plastic wine bottle! i know nothing about beaujolais wine or any other wine for that matter but for some reason i am seeing that everywhere this year! so i bought a bottle and i havent had it yet... hmmm.... guess i better not let it sit around too long!
Post a Comment