We drank heirloom tomato martinis...a wonderful summer treat which Greg, the bartender, was nice enough to share the recipe for. This was the perfect accompaniment to a dozen oysters. Mmmm, I was excited to dine with Carolina since she is one of the few who will slurp oysters with me (I'm getting sick of the fried calamari...I prefer oysters any day of the week!). With 3 lone oysters remaining on our platter, Greg (bartender) suggested we try oyster shooters: place 1 oyster in a shot glass, top with bloody mary mix and either vodka or tequila...shoot it! Yummy!
Heirloom Tomato Martini
Take a thick slice of heirloom tomato and cut into quarters
Muddle the tomato at the bottom of a cocktail shaker
Add ice
Add about 1/2-1 oz Cointreau
Add 1-2 oz Hendricks gin
Add about 1/2 oz lime juice
Toss in a few basil leaves
Shake Shake Shake
Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass
Garnish with a lemon twist
3 comments:
soooo...do you strain with a wire mesh strainer or a regular cocktail strainer? was the tomato martini clear or cloudy? your fans are craving details!
oysters. hmmmm. i'm suspicious of them. can you tell the diff in taste if you just swallow? do you hold your breath? i'd totally do that. do you burp the taste after?
Greg strained the martini with a regular cocktail strainer. The drink is not clear, and the color will depend on the tomato you use, mine was yellow. I am holding it in the picture...click on it to enlarge.
Post a Comment