Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia


I just got home from seeing Julie & Julia. You MUST go see it! I loved every single part of the movie, down to the same piece of furniture Julie and I own (the wrought iron Ikea hutch). I absolutely had to rave about this film, as it is about cooking and blogging, and the queen of all food...Julia Child. I read Julie and Julia back in 2005 when it was written, and was not blown away by the book, but the movie pairs it superbly with Julia Child's My Life in France (a much better read). Meryl Streep does an Oscar worthy portrayal of Julia Child. If you are not familiar with the premise, the movie follows Julie Powell, a NY cubicle worker as she sets out to cook all 700 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in 1 year in her tiny Queens kitchen. The movie mirrors Julie's experiences with Julia Child's life in France, where she learned to cook and wrote her cookbook. I am in love with this movie, and very well might have to see it again in the theater...

4 comments:

devon lorraine ... said...

there was a piece about this movie on npr with the director. an aspect of julia child i thought interesting was that she didn't become famous until she was 50.

i told patrick that i'm waiting 'til i'm 50, too.

Holly said...

She didn't even learn to cook until she was 30....see there's still hope for us all!

Sarah said...

i too read the book and found it enjoyable but not something i'd rave about. good to hear that the movie is even better.

so in 2 months i need to start learning how to cook. sounds good to me. from that point i have 20 years to become a famous chef. check.

anyone read "the sharper the knife the less you cry"? Very good book about a woman who goes to study at the cordon bleu

Unknown said...

i loved the movie too!! it was awesome. i thought it was totally inspiring and meryl was amazing as always. i never read the book. in fact, i admit i'd never heard of it before....