Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Goodebye Summer

Today I ventured back to work after 2 months of summer break...oh how I already miss my summer!
So, as a quick review, I work for Communication Works, a speech therapy clinic/company, and they place me in schools to conduct speech therapy. This year, I am back in Oakland school district, but thankfully not in the neighborhood where they shoot at the police. I am back at my charter school from last year (World Academy) and I am also placed at another school called Global Family School. Apparently, a few years ago when Oakland school district got taken over by the state (for failing), a few schools broke off into smaller schools...so that is how Global Family School came about. It is a mostly Hispanic school that focuses on community and culture. Should be a good placement.
But here's the kicker. My wonderful bilingual supervisor from last year has moved to Santa Cruz, so this year my supervisor does not know Spanish, which means I am now responsible for translating all testing and meetings with parents. Ugh. Not my strong point. Last year I was conducting preschool speech therapy sessions in Spanish, but talking to adults is a whole new game! Buena suerte! Ojala que mi espanol mejore!

6 comments:

Stephanie N. said...

It must be nerve-wracking to be thrown into playing translator like that. But your Spanish is going to get pretty amazing, er, muy bueno! So glad for you that you're at these schools now.

carol Vetterli said...

You'll do great, Holly!! Sounds like good schools this year.

J+K said...

The new school sounds like a perfect fit! As for the Spanish...practice makes perfect.

Unknown said...

oh boy! i am sure you'll do great and besides your spanish will get that much better. i'm jealous. i need to learn spanish... how is the school year going so far?!

Unknown said...

ps i'm glad you aren't in the scary area anymore!!!

devon lorraine ... said...

i am also very glad you're not in such an unsafe area anymore! and i know you're going to do great!